Writing and Revising Picture Book Manuscripts with Jim Averbeck
THIS 6 WEEK COURSE STARTS NOVEMBER 3RD, 2018
YOU WILL LEARN HOW TO:
- Write a great story in manuscript form
- How to edit yourself
- Leave room for the illustrator while still creating a great story
- Build a story with setups and pay-offs
- How to make a story emotionally satisfying
YOUR STORY COACH:
Jim Averbeck works, plays, and evades the law in San Francisco, California. His first book, "In a Blue Room," was a Charlotte Zolotow Honor book. His popular books "Except If" and "Oh No, Little Dragon!" feature charming protagonists with pointy teeth. His book, "The Market Bowl" and his middle-grade novel "A Hitch at the Fairmont" were Junior Library Guild Selections. His most recent book, "One Word From Sophia," was an Indy Next Top 10 for Summer 2015. Spy agencies can find Jim online at jimaverbeck.com
INTRODUCTIONS & ABOUT JIM
- Jim's journey to writing for children
- Why write picture books?
- Course syllabus
- How to improve your craft
WK 1: PICTURE BOOK BASICS
- Picture books: the marriage of pictures and words
- Story structures in picture books
- Word count
- About rhyme
- Generating a book of ideas
WK 2: FIND THE EMOTIONAL HEART OF YOUR STORY
- How to put the emotions you experience today into a story while still connecting to the emotional life of a child.
- Writing "up" to kids rather than writing down to them.
WK 3: BE THE EDITOR YOU WANT
- How to zero in on the problem of your story
- How to find good solutions when you are stuck
- Word choice for your story
- How to structure your sentences
WK 4: HOW TO WRITE FOR ILLUSTRATORS
- How to leave the door open for an illustrator while still making a great story
- How to create characters with attitude
- How to create mood
- How to use empty nouns to leave room for the illustrator
WK 5: STORY SHAPES
- How to examine story structures and understand them
- How to pace your story
- How to create setups and pay-offs
- How to link beginnings and endings
WK 6: BRINGING MORE TO THE TEXT
- How to enrich your text
- Strategies for improving your text
- How to spark imagary with text
LIVE WORKSHOPS & CRITIQUES
Have your manuscript reviewed during a live workshop or just listen in!
Miss the workshop? Don't worry, the replays are available.
ASK ME ANYTHING WITH AGENTS & EDITORS
Literary Agents Featured:
Rubin Pfeffer, Rubin Pfeffer Content
Lori Kilkelly, Rodeen Literary Management
Jen Rofe, Andrea Brown Literary Agency
Children's Book Editors Featured:
Mary Kate Castellani, Senior Children's Editor, Bloombury
Kate Farrell, Senior Editor, Henry Holt (MacMillian)
Ariel Richardson, Children's Editor, Chronicle Books
Once you purchase a class it's yours! We don't believe in limiting access to the course materials. You can access it anytime.
Join A Community
Join a creative community of hundreds of storytellers all working on their craft together. We work together and celebrate together.
Attend All Future Workshops
Enroll in a plan with workshops and you'll be able to particpate LIVE! The workshops are recorded and you can attend all future workshps as well.
WHAT OUR STUDENT'S ARE SAYING
ABOUT STORYTELLER ACADEMY
"As an elementary school art teacher with a 10-year tenure, armed with a master's in education, I thought I was capable of writing and illustrating a picture book in a fairly decent way. Little did I know that I didn't know about the ABC's of crafting a good picture book. This course is the best thing that happened to me in helping me both understand and practice the art of compelling storytelling. "Dorothy Wawa
“I have learned rule-after-rule about picture book writing …but the creative side of me got buried in that immense load of left-brain wonderful knowledge. I have had some great past instructors, but I could not get to the fun and creative side of my imagination to bring my stories forth and on paper…until now. All that has changed … thanks to this course with Arree Chung.
This course is so well put together. It especially keeps up with the style of the printed picture books of today increasing your potential for publication.
The creative side of writing and, if you wish, illustrating your picture book ideas can be done here with the help of Arree and Storyteller Academy.
I highly recommend Storyteller Academy. And, I can’t say enough about the personable and encouraging Arree Chung. His own recent published pictures books speak volumes of his knowledge and creativity.”Stella Lopez
"I think this course ( Arree's) has been exactly what I needed to move forward. I can hardly wait to begin another story after I polish this one some more. I like your videos Arree! Seeing the work you put into developing your books and seeing examples are what works for me."Maggie Griessmeier
"I love the course so far, and I love that it is lifetime membership because 12 weeks isn't enough for me to polish my unwritten stories and ideas."Mikki Hwang
Story Coach & Instructor
Critique Group Coordinator