Get your work one step closer to publication with a professional illustration or writing coach. Their guidance will elevate your manuscript to a new level.
Get one-on-one feedback on your work from an instructor.
One-on-one with an illustration or writing coach is a 25 to 30-minute critique via Zoom.
First, review the list of instructors (below) as each specializes in specific types of work.
Next, select and pay for your critique. From the confirmation page we will link you directly to our calendar system to book your date and time.
Lastly, remember to submit your work a few days in advance via the link provided.
- You'll need to upload your work at least a few days in advance to give the instructor of your choice time to give you thoughtful feedback.
- If you choose one of the three instructors who specialize in picture book critiques, please only submit ONE manuscript or dummy for critique.
- The instructors available will fluctuate throughout the year.
- After checking out, just wait for a few seconds to schedule your one-on-one through the instructor's calendar in Calendly. You can book a date from there and add it to your calendar.
- Make sure you upload your work for the instructor in advance and show up for your one-on-one through the Zoom link provided!
- If you need help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
OUR CURRENT ONE-ON-ONE CRITIQUE INSTRUCTORS
Our Writing Picture Book Manuscripts instructor, Jim Averbeck, is brilliant at helping students see how to revise their picture book manuscripts and dummies. You may be familiar with Jim's Hierarchy of Revision. Jim is a great mentor for any stage your story is in. You will need to upload either a dummy or a manuscript as a Word Doc or a PDF.
Carter Higgins teaches our Picture Book Wordsmith course. Buying this one-on-one is a great way to get a full manuscript critique with her, as she doesn't critique full manuscripts in her workshops. She's great at upper-level revision. You may submit one picture book or board book manuscript for critique. And we highly recommend taking her class if you're going to sign up for a critique with her.
Alex Leon is our Drawing 1 and Drawing 2 instructor and he will be reviewing art with students. He can critique up to 3 drawings or paintings but you can submit up to 10. Looking at 10 pieces will give him an overall idea and impression of what you need. Students should also submit 3 – 5 pieces of artwork that they like and are influenced by other artists and illustrators.
Tim McCanna writes rhyming picture books and taught our Storytelling in Rhyme mini-class. If you have a rhyming picture book, you may submit one manuscript for Tim to critique. We highly recommend taking his mini-class before you sign up for a critique with him. Tim is also happy to critique non-rhyming picture books.
Note: Mentored Critique Groups is offered every start of the term with select instructors. Next term starts January 2022.
Get guaranteed, targeted feedback on your work-in-progress from an industry professional and other students in your group.
Every term we offer mentored critique groups with some of our instructors. These small groups meet three times to receive peer critiques and illustration or writing coaching. By receiving actionable items for each revision, students' stories advance considerably over the course of nine (9) weeks.
***Our members get first-access to all mentored critique group slots.
OUR CURRENT MCG INSTRUCTORS
- Each group is limited to 5 participants. The three 2-hour meetings ensure that you can get your work critiqued three separate times.
- Choose to get three projects critiqued or the same project three times over a nine-week term. You may submit new or revised work in advance of each meeting.
- Makers Pro members get first access to buy these mentorship opportunities with instructors.
Bring your story to life!