Get one-on-one feedback on your work from an instructor.
A one-on-one with an illustration or writing coach is a 25 to 30-minute critique via Zoom.
First, review the list of instructors (below) as each specializes in specific types of work.
Next, select and pay for your critique. From the confirmation page we will link you directly to our calendar system to book your date and time.
Lastly, remember to submit your work at least a week in advance via the link provided.
- You'll need to upload your work at least at least a week in advance to give the instructor of your choice time to give you thoughtful feedback.
- If you choose someone who specialize in picture book critiques, please only submit ONE manuscript or dummy for critique.
- The instructors available will fluctuate throughout the year.
- After checking out, just wait a few minutes to schedule your one-on-one through the instructor's calendar in Calendly. You can book a date from there and add it to your calendar.
- Make sure you upload your work for the instructor in advance and show up for your one-on-one through the Zoom link provided!
- If you need help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
OUR CURRENT ONE-ON-ONE CRITIQUE INSTRUCTORS
Isabella Kung is the instructor of our Illustration 1 and Illustration 2 courses. For a critique with Isabella, you may submit one picture book dummy OR two illustrations for detailed critique OR an illustration portfolio for an overview.
Julie Downing is the instructor of our Illustration 1 and Illustration 2 courses. For a critique with Julie, you may submit one picture book dummy OR two illustrations for detailed critique OR an illustration portfolio for an overview.
Kaitlyn Leann Sanchez is a mom, wife, agent with Bradford Literary Agency, middle school math teacher, and picture book author. She's also the proud co-creator and co-host of the Spring Fling Kidlit Contest and Kidlit Zombie Week as well as creator and co-host of the Kidlit Fall Writing Frenzy Contest.
For critique, you can submit one picture book manuscript as a Word Doc or one dummy as a PDF.
Karen Boss is a senior editor at Charlesbridge. She holds an MA in Children’s Literature from Simmons College and was a mentor in their MFA program for many years. Karen also has an MA in higher education administration and worked at colleges and in the nonprofit sector for 15 years. She edits fiction and nonfiction picture books, middle grade, and YA. In her free time, Karen often plans “Auntie Karen adventures” for her four nieces (Sonia, 15; Sage, 13; Olive, 8; and Morgan, 6).
Tim McCanna writes rhyming picture books and taught our Storytelling in Rhyme and Meter-ology mini-classes. You may submit one rhyming or non-rhyming manuscript for Tim to critique.
Tim will also critique Early Graphic Novels (up to 3,500 words), but please be sure to select the correct option from the dropdown menu.